Meat Fondue Recipe Ingredients
For the broth and vegetables:
- 7 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade (page 338)
- One 3-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and thickly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed with the side of a knife
- 8 scallions, white and 1 inch of the green parts, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Asian (toasted) sesame oil*
- 1 small Napa cabbage, cored and thinly shredded
- 6 carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 large red bell peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded, caps sliced
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless shell or sirloin steak
- 1/2 pound sugar snap peas, blanched in boiling water for 30 seconds, drained, and shocked in ice water
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon prepared wasabi*
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh chives
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Meat Fondue Recipe Instructions
To make the broth, combine the stock, ginger, garlic, scallions, soy sauce, and sesame oil in a large saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Strain, discard the solids, and return the stock to the saucepan. Keeping the heat at medium to medium-low, maintain a slow, steady simmer while preparing the dish. Add the cabbage and simmer for 1 minute. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a large platter. Do the same for the carrots, peppers, and mushrooms, cooking the carrots and peppers for 3 minutes and the mushrooms for 2 minutes. Arrange each in a separate mound on the platter as they are cooked.
Place the beef in the freezer for about 30 minutes or until slightly stiff. This makes it easier to slice thinly. Cut the beef against the grain into paper-thin slices and arrange decoratively on a different platter. Add the peas to the platter.
To make the sauce, combine the sour cream, wasabi, chives, and mustard in a small bowl. Thin with water as desired. Stir well and season with salt and pepper.